Microsoft Excel for Mac is a popular spreadsheet application, developed by Microsoft Corporation, for Mac OS X operating system. Although, it is considered to be a very reliable and safe application, however, in some situations it may not open the files. Your significant Mac Excel files get damaged and you need to opt for Mac Excel recovery solutions to extract inaccessible data.
When you try to open a file in Microsoft Excel for Mac, you may encounter the below mentioned error message:
“Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”
With the above error message, Excel fails to open the file. This situation makes your significant data in the spreadsheet inaccessible and you have to use recover Excel files Mac using advanced recovery techniques.
Grounds of the issue:
This issue may occur due to:
- Corrupt Microsoft Excel for Mac or Microsoft Office for Mac preferences.
- Faulty Mac OS X hard drive, possibly due to damaged permissions.
- Mac OS X user account issues. If this problem is with particular file, access permissions may be the issue.
- Faulty installation of the Office for Mac application suite. Installation may get damaged due to viruses or system crash.
- Corrupt Excel for Mac spreadsheet. The application cannot read data from the corrupted file and crashes while opening it.
Steps to fix the problem:
Follow the steps to resolve this problem:
- Close all Office for Mac applications. Easiest way to do this is to restart your Mac.
- Remove Excel for Mac and Office for Mac preferences from /Library/Preferences directory.
- Repair the hard drive permissions using Disk Utility. It works around the common hard drive issues.
- Create a new user account to see if the problem is related to the user account. User Accounts option under System Preferences to create a new account.
- Remove the existing installation for Office for Mac and make a fresh installation. It resolves all the installation as well as preferences issues.
- Restore the damaged file from the most recent backup. This option is valid only if backup is fully updated. Incomplete backup can lead to further data loss.