Microsoft Excel for Mac is a popular spreadsheet application for Mac OS X operating system. It is part of Microsoft Office for Mac application suite. The most recent version of the application is Excel for Mac 2011. There are some situations where Excel file may become inaccessible due to corruption and you lose your critical data. In such cases, you have to use Mac Excel recovery solutions to get your data back.
Consider the below mentioned scenarios that occurs when you attempt to open an Excel spreadsheet on Mac OS X:
- Microsoft Excel for Mac application crashes and quits unexpectedly.
- It gives you the following error message while opening the workbook:“The application Microsoft Excel quit unexpectedly. Mac OS X and other applications are not affected. Click relaunch to launch the application again. Click report to see more details or send a report to Apple.”
This behavior makes the spreadsheet inaccessible and put you in need of Mac Excel Repair solutions.
The most common causes of this issue with Excel for Mac application and spreadsheet are as given below:
- Microsoft Excel for Mac preferences or Microsoft Office for Mac preferences is damaged and the application is not working properly.
- Installation of Microsoft Excel for Mac is damaged and the application is not working fine.
- The disk is damaged and thus Excel is not able to read the files stored in affected areas of the drive.
- The Excel workbook that you are trying to open is severely damaged and Excel is not able to read/understand it.
You can work around this problem using following methods:
- Remove Excel for Mac preferences and restart the application.
- Remove the installation of Excel and reinstall the same.
- Use Disk Utility to repair the hard drive permissions and the disk.
- Restore the damaged Workbook from the most recent backup.